Proof: Improving Forecast Accuracy delivers High ROI
Lowering Inventory and Raising Sales at the Same Time
How Accurate Demand Forecasting delivers Higher Returns
- Grows Revenue – Fast with Higher Service Levels
- Increase Sales: Better in-stocks of right products
- Decreases ‘Show-rooming’ effect: Available to buy with no wait
- Improve Customer Opinion: Better in-stock sends message to consumers
- Improve & Increase Social Media: Consumer tweets their success at your store
- Focus Marketing: Dependable Forecast help marketing channel consumer into the business goals
- Lower Operating Cost and Improve Working Capital Use
- Inventory Lowers: Only own what we will sell – often 15% or more.
- Flat line Accounts Payable: Less spot buying at beginning and end of month.
- Decrease Acquisition Cost: Plan buying with greater accuracy, less rush orders also.
- Decrease Carrying Cost: Knowing when it will sell and how long to receipt more units.
- Shareholder Value – higher sales and lower cost deliver more together
- Improve Turns: More sales and less inventory on hand.
- Improve GMROI: Gross Margin Return on Investment.
- Improve pre-tax profitability: Higher sales and lower costs.
- Improve Street Confidence: Investor confidence in management and management messages.
Results and mileage will vary for every company based upon the software that is used, the forecast, and the company’s unique situation. However, a good basis, from our experience, is that a 15% forecast accuracy improvement will deliver a 3% or higher pre-tax improvement.
The Research: Improving Forecast Accuracy delivers Higher Profits
Two resources, both widely held to be knowledgeable in this field, are the Gartner Group and Dr. John Mentzer. Their research consistently shares the same message – accurate forecasts deliver increased profits.
The Gartner Group has a host of seasoned and practiced supply chain professionals that include: Steve Steutermann, Tim Payne, Janet Suleski, and Mike Griswold. In the last two years, they have presented and published a number of articles and research highlighting the returns for companies that use accurate forecasting and run Demand Driven supply chains with a demand forecast.
Gartner’s measurable successes from more accurate demand forecasting include:
- Inventory reduction greater than 15%
- Service Attained improves more than 10% (order fill rate increases more than 20%)
- Average 2% revenue increases
- Gross Margin increases 3 – 5% range
To say this differently, Gartner found inventory decreased while sales increased at the same time. With improved demand forecasting, the companies bought less of the products that were low selling and kept pace with customer demand for what was selling. This leads to better GMROI, higher profits, lower inventory.
Gartner analyst Mike Griswold recently released a paper on the subject: “Research Roundup for Demand-Driven Retailers.” From Gartner: “Demand-driven retailers balance operations and innovation excellence, while, at the same time, delivering an exceptional and profitable customer experience. Use this research to identify the demand-driven retailing strategies and capabilities retailers need to initiate a transformational journey.”
Dr. John Mentzer
Dr. John T. Mentzer (canadian pharmacy for generic viagra) is one of the foremost authorities on supply chain management. Among his popular writings is a three page abstract titled ‘canadian pharmacy viagra with prescription.’ He opens the article sharing that “high level executives are more concerned with the impact of forecast accuracy on shareholder value than forecast accuracy per se ” Dr. Mentzer also shares that it is not enough to just have forecast accuracy, you must also have the software and processes that use the accurate forecast to achieve bottom line improvement. It is of interest to note that, while this paper was written several years ago, Dr. Mentzer is lifting up the merits of Demand Driven business models. While the technology and software have only improved in the last 5 years to make this priced right for the mid-tier and smaller companies, the concepts have remained the same: accurate demand forecast that are applied to software and business process will improve the business.
Subscribe to Data Profits Blog
Want to get updates as soon as possible? Subscribe to the blog and we'll send you a message whenever there's a new item.
- Improved Forecast Accuracy will deliver an increased shareholder value of 15% or more
How to Start Improving your Demand Forecast Accuracy
There is no need to settle for poor forecasting. New technology and software can analyze a mountain of big data and deliver a demand forecast within 10%. A good first step is to measure your forecast accuracy. Capture the results weekly in rolling four week buckets for a starting point. A simple way to measure forecast accuracy (not the only measure) is the following:
Forecast Accuracy 1 – (|Sls*-FCast|) / Sls Where Sls > 0.
*Sls = Sales or Demand
You must avoid normalizing the data. Try using four week buckets of sales and break the sales into meaningful product hierarchy groups (class, class-vendor). Look for patterns where the forecast accuracy is bad – seasonal products, new products, products in one certain hierarchy. Set a goal to work on the forecast of the worst 5 each day. If you need help, then contact us or visit a LinkedIn Group.
Do not wait for your competition to pass you with better tools! The price points for offerings like ours are often 1/10th the competition and are installed in less than 30 days. Even worse, don’t wait and find yourself replaced by someone else who is willing to make changes to grow the business. You can run a Demand Driven company with accurate Demand Forecast today.
Are your ready to ‘Tighten the Links in Your Supply Chain?™’
We are here and ready to help. Contact us for a free consultation about your forecast accuracy and inventory management opportunities. You can also request a demo and see how things can really start to improve in your business in 90 days.
Copyright © Data Profits, Inc. 2013 All Rights Reserved.